Profile of Languages and Literature Faculty
Biography of the Dean of Faculty:
Junior Lecturer Rahimullah Ramish son of Aminullah was born in 1987 in an intellectual family at village of Esfandeh in the center of Ghazni city. He received his primary and secondary education in Abu Nasr Mashkan and Mohammad Ibrahim Shahid High Schools. He studied high school in Shams-ul-Arefin High School and in 2006 he graduated from there with a high degree.
After graduating from high school, in 2006, he was included in Kankor exam and succeeded at Language and Literature Faculty of Kabul city. He entered to English Language and Literature department after a special English Language exam. He studied in this field from 2007 to 2010. In 2010, he graduated from the faculty of Language and Literature with a bachelor’s degree in English. In 2011, through free competition, he was included in the scientific staff of the faculty of Education of Ghazni University. Until 2014, he served as lecturer and head of the English Department. In 2014, the faculty of Language and Literature was separated from the faculty of Education and became an independent faculty. And Lecturer Rahimullah Ramish was chosen as the head of English Department.
In 2015, he was introduced to Education University of Shaheed Ustad Rabbani’s Master’s program (TESOL) (Teaching English to Speaker of other Languages) by Ghazni University. He studied in this program for two years. In 2016, he graduated with a master’s degree and returned to Ghazni University, after successfully defending his master’s thesis under the title of (The Impact of Motivation on Students who learn English as a foreign Language) from the Master’s program of Shaheed Ustad Rabbani Education University.
In 2017, based on the agreement of the lecturers of the English Department, he was re-elected as the head of the English Department of the faculty of Language and Literature. He was elected as the supervisor of the faculty of Language and Literature, according to the letter No. 460 on 1487 dated 9/10/2017 of the chancellor of Ghazni University, and included at science committee of University. Finally, on 26/6/2018 according to the decree No. 781, the esteemed official of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, he was appointed the dean of the Ghazni Faculty of Language and Literature and he has been performing in this position up to now. He is an active member of the Academic Council, the Leadership Council, the Academic Promotion Committee, The Committee for the Selection of Heads of Departments and The University Website Renewal Committee in the university. In addition, he chairs the quality assurance, selection of department heads, scientific research and strategic plan at the faculty level. Junior Lecturer Rahimullah Ramish, in addition to advancing the administrative affairs of the faculty of Language and Literature, is also teaching various subjects to the students of the department of English Language and Literature.
Massage from the Dean of the Faculty:
Dear and informed compatriots!
The development of education and research is one of the important pillars of the movement towards excellence and progress, the flourishing of talents, the science and cultural growth of society. In this regard, the educational system of the country, especially universities have a major and effective role. That is why we in the faculty of language and literature, in the lights of the rules and regulations of the Ministry of Higher Education, are committed to fulfilling our educational and research mission. The faculty of Language and Literature, a higher education unit within Ghazni University, is committed to educating women and men researchers, the guardian of the national and Islamic values is diligent and strives to excel in the education of educated people by considering its opportunities and facilities, this faculty intends to present researchers, writers, literary, translators and teachers in the fields of language, literature, art and culture to educate the new generation of our dear homeland to the society. And to provide the necessary facilities in order to enlighten the public opinion and protect the ancient literary- cultural values of the country and to communicate with the languages and cultures of the world. Responsibilities, commitment and accountability, team work, innovation, honesty, academic ethics, relationships based on mutual respect and preservation of human dignity are the most important values of this faculty.
There is no doubt that literature plays a constructive role in the development of children, adolescents and young people. Our country today suffers from violence, extremism, inequality, discrimination, unhealthy management, scientific- cultural poverty and hundreds of other problems. In such a situation, there is an urgent need for culture building, awareness and returning to a positive message. Poverty and material deprivation do not incite a nation to revolt, rather, it is the people’s precise awareness of the fact that it is the source of the arousal and emergence of a movement. As we see our deprived classes immersed in poverty and miser, but they make no effort to save themselves from the ominous fate they are facing. That is why the faculty of Language and Literature is always trying to increase the level knowledge of young men and women in the fields of language, literature, art and culture through education and research in order to stand against the mentioned problems, to work for the prosperity of their country. And get rid of the evil scripture that they are caught in.
I hope that with the increasing progress and development of the fields of the faculty of Language and Literature, along with the qualitative and quantitative development of Ghazni University, we will be able to take effective steps to serve the progress of our society and our dear country.
History and Current Statue of the Faculty of Language and Literature:
The Faculty of Language and Literature left the Faculty of Education in 2014 and started operating as an independent faculty. But its nucleus had been established in the framework of the faculty of education since the establishment of the university in 2008 with the department of Dari language and literature. This faculty, like other faculties, was established at the suggestion of the university leadership and for the purpose of a respected official of the Ministry of Higher Education.
This faculty has four departments (Pashto language and literature, Dari language and literature, Arabic language and literature and English language and literature). These four departments existed within the framework of the Faculty of Education before the establishment of the Faculty of Literature. Since the establishment of the Faculty of Language and Literature in 2014 un to now (2019), five rounds of graduates from Dari, Pashto and Arabic departments and four rounds of graduates from English departments have been presented to the community, with a total of 692 students (565 Males and 127 females). After the end of the fall semester of 1398, 209 students, 156 of whom are male and 53 female, graduated from the four departments of this faculty with a bachelor's degree. Now that we are on the eve of the beginning of the academic year 1399, 704 students, of which 491 are male and 213 are female, are studying in this faculty.
At present, this faculty has 19 lecturers with bachelor's and master's degrees and the academic ranks of the faculty, candidate and associate lecturer. Out of 19 lecturers, 13 are masters, 4 are studying for a doctorate and 2 are for a bachelor's degree. Also, out of a total of 19 lecturers, 11 of them have the rank of junior lecturer and 8 of them have the rank of candidate for junior lecturer and lecturer. About six lecturers which are coming from master’s program will get the rank of junior lecturer up to half of spring semester of 2020. It is worth mentioning that 3 positions for Dari Department, 1 position for English Department and 1 position for Pashto Department were announced in 2019. After shortlist, it was suggested to the Ministry of Higher Education to pass the exam through free competition. The end of the spring semester of 2020, five more lecturers will join the total of 19 lecturers, and this faculty will have 24 members of the academic staff in the fall semester of 2020. The faculty also has a general teaching director, an executive director and two service staffs.
Since this faculty was previously under the framework of the Faculty of Education, the curriculum of the Faculty of Language and Literature of the University of Education, Martyr Rabbani, was adapted to the spring semester of 2017. From the fall semester of 2017 until now, the curriculum of the Faculty of Language and Literature of Kabul University is being implemented in four departments of this faculty.
The Faculty of Language and Literature is an institution in terms of academic structure that trains the required cadres of society, higher education institutions, teachers' colleges, schools, and institutes in the fields of language, literature, culture, and art. Since its establishment, this faculty has been trying to serve the students and the community, and always strives to provide literary, artistic and cultural services. The purpose of this type of service is to train educators who with theoretical knowledge and practical skills in the four-year period have the ability and mastery in teaching languages and literature and while having a positive attitude towards their work in a desirable way to make students interested in learning this literature and art. Currently, there is an unprecedented level of knowledge of the culture and language of others (foreigners) throughout Afghanistan, and there are many enthusiasts and applicants who show a special interest in teaching the language and art of others, and this faculty to meet such needs and opinions. In the current situation, it feels and understands the necessity and considers it as one of its goals. The leadership of the Faculty of Language and Literature is always striving for this faculty to have a completely scientific and academic atmosphere with experienced lecturers with high scientific ranks (پوهنوال و پوهاند) with higher education (doctoral degree), and it has enough facilities at its disposal to meet the basic needs of our compatriots and society in terms of material capacities, Physically structures, according to the needs and development, as much as possible.
Languages and Literature Faculty of Ghazni University intends to be recognized as one of the academic branches of Ghazni University through teaching and conducting researches in the fields of Language, Literature, Arts, and Culture in the light of Ministry of Higher Education rules and in line with the needs of Afghan community
Explanation of view: Since knowledge of language and literature is one of the issues of human life in a society and a necessary thing, providing the ground for the growth and training of specialized teachers to enrich culture and literature in a country is one of the priorities. In this way, it has had a special advantage and importance to paying attention to the technical and specialized aspects in teaching language, literature and art and creating a ground for acquiring skills in reading and understanding texts, correct pronunciation and expression in preparing writings not only for educators but also for those who are not educators but want private knowledge, prosper their live with familiarity, literature and art. Faculty of Language and Literature In addition to its scientific and academic activities, it also pursues views and goals such as the growth of political and cultural ideas of society, training of scientific and professional staff for the growth and prosperity of the country, creating scientific research for lecturers and students by using texts in foreign languages and raising their research skills in various fields of research and help to empower the younger generation, their educational development and talent.
Languages and Literature Faculty of Ghazni University with the facilities and resources in hand educates researchers, writers, translators, teachers in Language and Literature of Persian, Arabic, Pashto, and English to instruct the offsprings of this country. This Faculty; also, provides possible resources for the purpose of enlightening the public, preserving the cultural and literary values, and maintaining the relationship between the languages and cultures across the globe.
Explanation of Mission: Using scientific sources and texts and establishing cultural relations with other nations. It requires a common language and literature, and the only way to achieve these goals is to at least be familiar with them. Today, learning literature, art and language is an undeniable necessity because teaching different disciplines at higher levels and with the increasing globalization of international communications, radio and television programs, world trade and teaching new sciences are all done in foreign languages and cultures and unfamiliarity with them is equal to not living in today's modern world. This is the mission of the Faculty of Language and Literature to try in order to train qualified, committed, knowledgeable and intelligent professionals in the field of education, and to fulfill its goals by considering of the guidelines of literary and art scientists and using the facilities involved in comprehensive educational plans in a transparent manner, with good faith and sense of responsibility in its assigned affairs, taking into account the needs of the age and time, their mental and professional development, which are the growth and development of good literature, educators and trainers, and do its religious and patriotic mission well and get on the train of developed countries.
The main goal of the Faculty of Language and Literature is to train an effective and professional force in the fields of Dari, Pashto, English, Arabic language and literature and art in general. The Faculty of Language and Literature wishes to dedicate professional and innovative lecturers and leaders of language and literature in English, Dari, Pashto and Arabic in the areas of teaching, research, language skills, literature, culture, writing with honesty and professional commitment to society without linguistic, ethnic, national, racial, sexual or religious discrimination. Faculty of Language and Literature has been created on the urgent needs of the country to nurture researchers, poets, writers in the field of literature and culture, and to train the best teachers who can water the thirsty children of the homeland from the rich and valuable sources of literature of the past. This prestigious cultural and scientific foundation, has been a source of worthy services which carries the morning mission of the ancient knowledge and literature of our dear homeland in preserving national and social values from the very beginning.
The objectives of the Faculty of Language and Literature are as follows:
- According to the perspective, providing a healthy and appropriate environment for standard teaching.
- Educate teachers, researchers, writers and poets in the fields of language, literature, culture and art.
- Training and teaching male and female students at the bachelor level in accordance with accepted national and international academic standards.
- Advancing teaching affairs in accordance with the credit system bill of the Ministry of Higher Education of Afghanistan
- Establish and strengthen relations with the Ministry of Higher Education, domestic and foreign universities, public awareness centers, cultural centers, civil society and other related departments in order to strengthen the education and teaching system.
- Efforts to establish and maintain cooperation and collaboration between faculty, students and staff
- Efforts to implement and evaluate short-term and long-term plans and faculty development
- Active contribution in the field of publications and public awareness and mass media (newspapers, magazines, radio, television, articles ...) and their use
The Faculty of Language and Literature believes in the professional and spiritual values on the basis of which the growth and education of literature, educators and lecturers is given ease and speed, and it is as follows:
1. Academic freedom within the framework of the law and regulations of the religion of Islam.
2. Commitment to piety, honesty and transparency in work.
3. Commitment to timely work in the team.
4. Respect for the opinions of others and different opinions.
5. Sovereignty in joint duties and leadership.
6. Rejection of any linguistic, ethnic, racial, religious, intellectual or gender discrimination
7. A sense of responsibility in teaching and duty
8. being professional and adequate
9. Merit and equality
10. Patriotism and humanity
11. Honesty and excellent commitment to duties
12. Merit and equality
13. Recognizing the rights of men and women
15. Protect the environment and strive for greenery
16. A sense of cooperation and mutual respect
17. Good use of hand facilities
18. Diligence and good faith in scientific and research affairs
19. Treat everyone well and have great character
20. Observance of order and discipline
21. Grow and develop self-confidence and others
22. Innovation and curiosity
23. Timing and use of time
1. Having 11 young master lecturers
2. Having 4 doctoral lecturers, two of whom will return to the faculty soon
3. Having two night programs (Dari and Pashto)
4. Having internet and telephone in departments and managements
5. Existence of trust space between lecturers
6. Request of private universities from the lecturers of this faculty to teach in those universities
7. Existence of will and effort for progress by the faculty leadership
8. Existence of 6 active committees at the faculty level (Quality Assurance Committee, Scientific Research, Preparation of Strategic Plan, Appointment of the Head of the Departments, Examinations and Cultural Committee)
9. Having four active departments, each equipped with almost good rooms and equipment
10. Merit, equality and recognition of the rights of men and women
1. Lack of proper and sufficient administrative and teaching repairs and classes
2. Lack of equipped library for the Faculty of Literature
3. High number of students (80-90) in a class
4. Lack of regular electricity
5. Lack of educational tools such as projector, LCD, language lab, MP3, etc.
6. Lecturer shortage crisis (more than 40% of the courses of this faculty, especially the Persian-Dari department, are taught by contract lecturers
7. Lack of lecturers with higher academic ranks such as ( پوهاند پوهندوی.....)
8. Lack of big conference room for seminars and conferences
9. The low level of graduates of twelve classes and challenging teachers in the teaching process
10. Lack of sufficiently high-ranking lecturers to guide lecturers' scientific research
Obstacles and Challenges:
As everyone knows, high school graduates are on the rise every year, but universities and higher education institutions face problems and challenges in admitting a large number of young people to higher education. Therefore, faculties should be supported, equipped and developed by the government with all possible facilities. Otherwise, the existing obstacles will not produce the desired quality and will cause educational disorders.
The main challenges of the Faculty of Language and Literature are as follows:
1. Lack of repair, independent building and even current classrooms that meet the teaching needs of students.
2. Lack of doctoral and master's programs as well as lack of interest in research by foreign donors
3. Lack of capacity building programs for workshops and seminars by the government and foreign institutions for lecturers and staff
4. The Ministry of Higher Education and donors do not facilitate research fields in the cultural, literary and archaeological sectors in the region.
5. Cessation of international aid due to the ambiguity of the security and political situation in the country
6. Weakness of the educational side of school students
7. Lack of labor market and employment in the current situation
8. Lack of the normal and development budget by the government at the faculty level
9. Long security threats
10. Existence of social problems for female students
11. The university is far from the city center
12. Lack of regular transportation system for lecturers and staff
13. Lack of faculty blocks (many faculty members live in rented rooms)
14. Introducing more students than the available capacity by the Ministry of Higher Education
As can be seen up close, the site of Ghazni University has a suitable place for construction and infrastructural structures for a sufficient period of time, which can be built teaching blocks and conference building, library, laboratory and office. In order to build such an infrastructure, there is an urgent need to reach an agreement with domestic and foreign donors and institutions, and he convinced them that cooperation in this field is reasonable and appropriate. Because the foundation of a society is laid by its educators and it is the faculty of language and literature that presents educators to the society in a professional way. If the challenge is in training of trainers, how the future of the young generation can be guaranteed at the national level and donor funding can alleviate some of our existing problems now.
Fortunately, up to now, the graduates of this faculty have mostly included their duties and services in the community and are successful in their work. There is still a need for the courses that this faculty graduates in the region and the country, and it is not expected that these needs will be met soon. Every year, a large number of students in the secondary and high education courses of the country are thinking and looking for higher education. If the development and facilities for the future of the expectant are not considered right now, for many may find it difficult to get an education or society will get rid of this misery (war, insecurity, illiteracy, coercion and lawlessness). The main opportunities of the Faculty of Language and Literature are as follows:
1. Having enough space and a suitable place to build office and teaching blocks and a library and etc...
2. Existence of work spirit and increasing capacity building among lecturers
3. Existence of scholarships for lecturers of language and literature in different countries of the world
4. Non-interference of the armed opposition of the government in the affairs of the university
5. Lecturers can’t teach illegally in private universities
6. Existence of graduates of the Faculty of Language and Literature at the head of governmental and non-governmental educational centers in Ghazni province
7. Lecturers of private universities and teachers' colleges are too interested to teach in this faculty
8. Opportunity to use the master's and doctoral programs of Kabul universities and the education of Martyr Ustad Rabbani